Your body believes every word you say. I read a book with that title years ago and I believe that statement more than ever. I speak carefully now because I believe that your words influence circumstances. The bible says that life and death are in the power of the tongue (see Proverbs 18:21).
I think about how many times I spoke death to myself rather than life regarding my health. When I was in high school, I used to tell myself, “I’m fat.” I remember crying when my weight got up to 152. Little did I know that it would eventually reach 240 after I left high school!
I am convinced that I was prophesying those negative results to myself. But what if I had prophesied the positive? I’m sure the results would have been quite different. If I had instead said, “I am so happy and grateful now that I’ve created a healthy, fit body” I believe that’s what I would have gotten. Instead, I ended up experiencing obesity for 20 years.
But that was then and this is now.
I’ve lost 85 pounds and have been on my health journey for over 5 years. I eat healthy and exercise not just because it helps me maintain my weight, but because I see it as the ultimate expression of self love. And I’m always speaking words of encouragement to myself.
I challenge you to watch your words for the next 90 days. Speak words of life and faith to yourself.
Here are some examples:
- I do what it takes to be healthy (instead of ‘I’ll try to do the right thing’)
- I can succeed (instead of ‘I can’t do this’)
- I choose to exercise (instead of ‘I have to exercise’)
- I want to eat foods that make me look and feel good (instead of ‘I should eat nutritious foods’)
- I’m responsible for my health (instead of ‘It’s not my fault I can’t eat right’)
- I love my body (instead of ‘I hate my hips/thighs/stomach’)
- I am patient with creating my better body (instead of ‘this is taking too long’)
Changing your words to those that support you rather than sabotage you is one of the fastest ways to change your beliefs. Your beliefs influence your actions, which control your results. If you want a better body, start declaring words today that will get you there.